By default, the signal in the device is displayed like an A-scan, and the available operating modes allow the operator to evaluate the signals using different methods (PEAK-PEAK, FRONT, ECHO, ECHO-ECHO). Also the B-scan mode is implemented in this thickness gauge, which allows user to get the product profile like a graphical, convenient for perception. Using a specialized carriage for the probes, it becomes possible to scan extended objects and obtain a thickness profile.
EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA is a new development of the NOVOTEST company, which will allow our users to solve not only the standard tasks of testing the thickness of metal products, but also to carry out tests in cases where traditional methods, such as piezo-ultrasonic, laser-optical, X-ray, mechanical, etc. – not applicable.
Electromagnetic-acoustic (EMA) technology for measuring thickness is based on the excitation of ultrasonic vawes in the material by the generator of the device’s probe, and fixing the path time of ultrasonic waves in the material.
So, the technology is similar to the most common piezo-ultrasonic method, however, the EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA thickness gauge has several advantages:
The electromagnetic-acoustic thickness gauge allows user to measure the thickness of metal products with one-way access without using couplant through a substantial gap (up to 6 mm). This significantly reduces the material- and laboriousness of the measurement process.
MEASUREMENT THROUGH PAINTED, OXIDIZED OR OILY SURFACES
EMA technology generates waves directly in the material (ferromagnetic and paramagnetic), thus allowing measurements to be carried out under a coating or with a poorly prepared surface, which may not be feasible with traditional methods.
HIGH TEMPERATURE PROBES
EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA can be equipped with probes for operation on surfaces heated to a temperature of 600 °C, which makes this device the best, and in some cases, the only possible solution.
A significant advantage over competitors is the range of measured thicknesses. The EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA allows measuring walls from 0.5 mm to more than 200 mm, depending on the probe used.
THICKNESS GAUGE EXECUTION
EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA is made in a durable and lightweight metal case. By special order, the thickness gauge can be made in dust and waterproof design (IP65). The thickness gauge is equipped with lithium-ion high-capacity batteries, which allowed for a long battery life. By special order, the battery capacity can be further increased, which will allow user to operate up to 30 hours from a single battery charge.
AUTOMATIC OPERATION MODE AND VARIOUS TYPES OF SIGNAL DISPLAYING
The EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA implements a unique operating mode – the device automatically analyzes the measured signals, selects the required measurement method, adjusts the parameters of the receiving path and displays the measured thickness on the device’s screen. Even an unskilled user with this mode will be able to accurately and rapidly measure the thickness of various metal structures and products.
Also, EMAT Thickness Gauge NOVOTEST UT-3M-EMA comes with special software for operate with the archive of the device, and the subsequent transfer of data for processing in convenient formats.
- A significant advantage in comparison with analogues is the unique automatic operation mode of the thickness gauge. The device automatically analyzes the measured signals, selects the required measurement method, adjusts the parameters of the receiving path and displays the measured thickness in large numbers on the display. Even an unprepared user in the automatic mode will be able to accurately and quickly measure the thickness of various metal structures and products.
- It is also necessary to pay attention to the fact that the device implements the B-scan mode, which allows user to get the product profile like a picture that is easy to read. Using a specialized carriage for the probe, it becomes possible to scan extended objects and obtain a thickness profile.
- In cases when it is necessary to sort the products with clearly defined thicknesses (min., max.), above which a decision is taken on the products is defective, a special control mode of the thickness gauge is used. The operator sets the minimum and maximum gates and watch a graphical representation on the display of the measured thickness, receives an alarm when the measured thickness goes beyond the gate and also can estimate corrosion damage as a percentage of the nominal thickness of the product.
- For expert testing, it is possible to carry out manual measurements using all known methods – using the autocorrelation function (ACF), measurement between two maximum signals in the gate, echo by zero crossing, echo echo passing through zero.
- To calibrate the device, there is a special auto calibration mode on a standard thickness sample.
|Measuring thicknesses range for steel, mm||0.5…200.0|
|Type of ultrasonic wave||transverse|
|Manual gain range, dB||100|
|Ultrasound velocity adjustment range, m/s||1000-9999|
|Frequency averaging signal||1-128|
|Measurement methods||Autocorrelation function (ACF)
Echo Echo (Dual Echo)
|Display||3.5 inch 320 * 480|
|Menu Language||Russian, English|
|Weight of the electronic unit, not more, kg||0.5|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||165x90x50mm|
|Power Supply||Built-in Li-ion Battery|
|Time of continuous work, not less than, h||8|
|Operating temperature range for the electronic unit, ° C||-20 to +50|